The JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is committed to providing the highest quality of professional education for physicians and other rehabilitation clinicians. The educational partnership between the Department of Professional Development & CME and the clinical services is comprehensive.
Represented professions include: physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, audiologists, rehabilitation and neuropsychologists, social workers, therapeutic recreation specialists, vocational rehabilitation counselors, and physicians within all specialties.
Our goal is to help clinicians acquire the professional competencies and personal confidence to work within an array of clinical settings with diverse patient populations. We strive to facilitate career advancement and encourage practitioners to engage in clinical and research activities that promote professional growth and the expansion of evidence based scientific knowledge.
Continuing Education Courses & Conferences
In partnership with JFK Johnson clinical departments and other components of JFK Health, we foster an educational environment through which clinicians may acquire the skills and inquisitiveness to be astute problem solvers and knowledgeable evidence based practitioners. Whenever possible, we offer a diversity of weekday, evening, and weekend options to accommodate personal and professional scheduling needs. Educational formats are designed to facilitate learning and meet educational needs.
Frequently offered formats include:
- Half-day to Multi-day Interdisciplinary Symposiums & Conferences
- Discipline specific topically focused courses, including labs, demos, and other experiential workshops for PTs, OTs, SLPs, & Audiologists
- Continuing Medical Education lectures and courses for multi-specialty physicians
- Educational areas of expertise include -Stroke, Brain Injury, Vestibular Disorders, Parkinson’s disease and other Movement Disorders, Musculoskeletal Disorders, Orthopedic Injuries, Pain, Swallowing Disorders, Aphasia, Hearing Disorders, Auditory Processing Disorders, Post Concussion Syndrome, Pediatric Rehabilitation, Palliative Care, and other rehabilitation topics.
Other Related Content/Outcomes
Our continuing education offerings are highly evaluated by the professional community. Among the many recognitions, JFK was awarded two consecutive 6 year “Accreditations With Commendation” by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education.
Continuing Education Accreditations
We are an accredited provider for the following continuing education organizations:
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Approved Provider Program
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification (NATABOC)
- New York State Education Department’s State Board of Physical Therapy*
*Applications to the New Jersey State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners are made for all offerings applicable to the discipline Additional accreditation applications are submitted appropriate to the specific audience and content of the education. For more information, please call 732.632.1570 or 732.632.1564.
Extensive on-site clinical education programs are offered for affiliating masters and doctoral students representing regional and national colleges and universities. Depending on the specific discipline, students are placed in a variety of clinical services providing a rich and supportive environment and one-on-one student supervision. These settings include Acute Care, General Inpatient Rehab, Traumatic Brain Injury, Pediatrics and Outpatient Rehab. Highlights from specific programs are as follow:
- Physical Therapy – We provide approximately 40-45 student clinical experiences annually and have affiliation agreements with over 50 physical therapy colleges and universities throughout the country. (Additionally, we provide some limited clinical placements for physical therapist assist ant students from local PTA programs).
- Occupational Therapy – We accept 20-25 Level I and Level II occupational therapy students each year, primarily, but not exclusively, from programs in the Mid Atlantic region and lower New England (In addition to the clinical learning experience, physical and occupational therapy students benefit from a series of inservices developed to meet their educational needs and are offered the opportunity to attend additional inservices with the rehabilitation team).
- Speech Pathology – The graduate internships in the Speech Pathology programs are rigorous in nature in order to provide a strong clinical knowledge base in preparation for the Clinical Fellowship Year. Approximately 20-25 student clinical experiences are offered annually. We have affiliation agreements with over 20 Communication Science and Disorder programs in colleges and universities throughout the country.
- Audiology – The Audiology Program offers clinical practicum experiences for highly motivated students enrolled in a doctoral program in Audiology. Our goal is to prepare students for independent practice in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and management of hearing and balance disorders of patient fall ages. This is accomplished through supportive one-on-one clinical supervision in a professional and challenging clinical environment. Practicums are available for second, third and fourth year students, with the possibility of an annual stipend for forth year students.
- Psycho-Social Disciplines – Students within social work, therapeutic recreation, and vocational rehabilitation disciplines complete internships within the various appropriate settings and departments.
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency Program
- Brain Injury Medicine Fellowship
- Pain Medicine Fellowship
The rigorous training and varied clinical experiences offered at JRI have often served to enhance future job opportunities for the many students who have completed internships/fieldwork at JRI. In fact, many of our current employees were former students who completed their clinical education at JRI and were hired after graduation. Students may attend continuing education courses offered by JRI while they are on affiliation.
- Professional Development & CME Brochures
Other Health Profession Disciplines
- Residency Program in PM&R
- Brain Injury Fellowship
- Pain Injury Fellowship
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation Social Work
- Therapeutic Recreation