Third-year and Fourth-year Electives
The medical student education program at the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute (JRI), in Edison, New Jersey offers third-year and fourth-year students opportunities to explore career options within the rapidly growing field of physical medicine and rehabilitation by acquiring new skills, learning techniques and developing their potential. Rotations include didactic and clinical instruction by an experienced and dedicated faculty and attending staff.
JRI is part of the 535-bed JFK Medical Center. It is is a comprehensive rehabilitation facility with 94 inpatient beds, extensive outpatient services, and subacute rehabilitation services.
JRI’s specialty services include
- Stroke and neurological rehabilitation
- Post-surgical orthopedic care
- Spinal cord injury rehabilitation
- Head injury diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Chronic pain management
- Care for amputees
- Treatment through our complementary medicine department
JRI also staffs and services several outpatient clinics including those for prosthetics and orthotics, spasticity, spinal cord injury, wheelchair prescription, Muscular Dystrophy and EMGs.
We currently offer five elective programs:
- General overview of physical medicine and rehabilitation – This rotation will explore the various services of inpatient rehabilitation, including cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, rehabilitation of neurological and neurodegenerative diseases, and orthopedic rehabilitation. A second component of this rotation will explore the area of outpatient rehabilitation. Rotation services include the areas of musculoskeletal medicine, prosthetics and orthotics, integrative medicine (including acupuncture), and sports medicine and other various outpatient clinics. The rotation will also include didactic teaching as well as clinical instruction in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- Acting internship in physical medicine and rehabilitation – This is a two- to four-week rotation which comprises an intensive inpatient experience in one of three areas: orthopedic rehabilitation, neurological rehabilitation and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation. This rotation also includes both didactic teaching and clinical instruction in the field of inpatient physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- Prosthetic and orthotic and wound care rotation – This two- to four-week physical medicine and rehabilitation rotation explores the treatment of an amputee from initial amputation through the prosthetic fitting. Other areas will include the use of orthotics for extremities as well as spinal orthotics. The evaluation and treatment of wounds will also be explored on this elective rotation.
- Acting internship in traumatic and acquired brain injuries – This intensive inpatient rotation deals with those individuals with acquired brain injury and the various medical specialties, rehabilitation and interdisciplinary teams involved in their care. The rotation will also include management of spasticity in the brain injury patient.
- Electives in rehabilitation consult services – This two- to four-week rotation will explore the area of rehabilitation consults in a trauma center. Students will rotate through Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick, NJ to explore acute rehabilitation on a consultative basis.
Rotations are available for one- to four-week periods throughout the year. Elective rotations are available in the following areas:
- General rehabilitation (inpatient and outpatient)
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Traumatic brain injury
- Consult services
- Acting internship
We invite you to visit our campus and meet our dynamic and talented staff. For more information regarding arranging an elective rotation at the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute, please contact the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at (732) 321-7000, extension 62018.